Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Defying Gravity

In case you hadn't noticed by now I am very moved by music, all kinds of music. Truthfully, the best way to control me is with music, play me sad/depressing music and you'll have me in a depression spiral before you know it. Play me angry music and things can get ugly, happy and uplifting and tears of joy are sure to flow. Its been that way my whole life. I know most people can be moved with music but it definitely seems to lean towards the extreme side for me. At the moment I've got the Glee soundtracks loaded up on my iPod, their songs are mostly high energy, joyful songs and keep me from killing my officemate as she has become incredibly annoying of late. I really enjoy watching Glee, the music is so much fun and, I don't care what anyone else thinks, I enjoy the story of the show. The characters all have lots of personality. The song Defying Gravity from Wicked, the Broadway musical came on, this is a particularly moving song. It is sung (on Broadway) by the character of Elphaba from the Wicked book series. Fantastic series if you haven't read it, told from the point of view of the Wicked Witch of the West, Elphaba. This is a woman I can completely relate to, misunderstood and judged because of how different she was both physically and mentally from everyone around her. I hope to someday see the play, I'm not even sure if its still running right now,  even if its not I'm sure at some point it will be revived somewhere, it was quite popular.

These are the lyrics as sung on Glee:

Defying Gravity


Something has changed within me 
Something is not the same 
I'm through with playing by the rules 
Of someone else's game 
Too late for second-guessing 
Too late to go back to sleep 
It's time to trust my instincts 
Close my eyes: and leap! 

It's time to try 
Defying gravity 
I think I'll try 
Defying gravity 
Kiss me goodbye 
I am defying gravity 
And you wont bring me down! 

I'm through accepting limits 
''cause someone says they're so 
Some things I cannot change 
But till I try, I'll never know! 
Too long I've been afraid of 
Losing love I guess I've lost 

Well, if that's love 
It comes at much too high a cost! 

I'd sooner buy 
Defying gravity 
Kiss me goodbye 
I'm defying gravity 
I think I'll try 
Defying gravity 
And you wont bring me down! 

I'd sooner buy 
Defying gravity 
Kiss me goodbye 
I'm defying gravity 
I think I'll try 
Defying gravity 
And you won't bring me down! 
bring me down! 
ohh ohhh ohhhh!

The lyrics from the play are much more involved and include dialog between Elphaba and Glinda, who are not enemies at all as portrayed in The Wizard of Oz, but best of friends.

Someday I will defy gravity...

No comments:

Post a Comment